Monday, March 02, 2009

Heroes


The notion of hero has always been in our literature, art, and culture. There is now even a tv show with the name. My heroes are people that sacrifice themselves, especially being subjected to harm, accepting the risk without knowing consequences. In this category can be anyone who stands up for injustice, people who work multiple jobs for their family, etc.

For me these guys are my heroes. I've served in the same Infantry unit as the two soldiers in this picture. Much of the credit (and scorn) that soldiers get is based on the whim of popular culture. That's why they were spit on during the Vietnam years, and why people justify "supporting the soldiers but not the war" now. Many, if not most, of my friends in the military are now in Iraq or Afghanistan. I've really struggled with this, especially since my Cavalry unit in Vegas will deploy to "The 'Stan" soon. These are people that I have gotten to know over the past few years, ministered to (and they have ministered to me), gone out on training missions with, etc. It's really true that soldiers fight for the guy to the right and left of them, and not always even for the flag or cause when it comes down it.

Seminary is analogous to military life in many ways, and I should speak more on that. I hope I can use my opportunity here to lift up my brothers and sisters, even as I am plagued with doubt and insecurity. I must believe that everything in my life has led me to this place for a reason. We can glorify God wherever we are, and I hope that the struggling and stumbling in my life is toward Christ.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maggie's Farm said...

I'm very proud of both my Army sons. You make it possible for us all to live freely and happily. Thank you for your service.

3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home