Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Independence Day

Happy freedom day to all. Of course, freedom means different things to each of us, though it is always a removal of burden. To some, freedom means a lack of coercion and ease of expression. To others, freedom is gained through dependence on a greater and stronger force. It's one thing to be free from a negative, but it is greater to go through the process full circle and to be free through and in.

On a lighter note and anecdote, I remember the 1993 Boy Scout Jamboree in Ft. Lee, VA, where thousands of scouts and I watched Lee Greenwood sing 'Proud to be an American' on a humid summer night in the clear sky with fireworks going off. As he sang lines from respective states, such as "lakes of Minnesota" and "hills of Tennessee," each state cheered. I'm not sure what he would say for NJ (my home state), but for a state that contains Ellis Island, The Statue of Liberty (within its boundaries), pivotal Revolutionary War battles, and the best university in the nation; perhaps something could be said. In 1995 I was privileged to attend the World Boy Scout Jamboree in Holland. I made sure that my troop carried the American flag with pride. My patriotism has matured since then, especially in light of my religious beliefs (and current foreign policy), but I'm still "...proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free; and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me."

3 Comments:

Blogger Maggie's Farm said...

What happy memories you gave me! I loved your Boy Scout days, watching you earn all those badges and distinguish yourself with the Eagle Scout rank. You were so cute going off to Europe with Joey. Remember, he was sewing on his badges in the airport? You made your family so proud! I love you!

4:14 PM  
Blogger miaaviva said...

aww.. aj, those are words from my favortie song! i cry listening to that cd! and at all of your little military and boy scout functions, oh what a sap i am, but it is just because i am so proud of you and honored to be your twin! i miss you!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Maggie's Farm said...

Come on, give your mother a thrill and update your blog! Please!

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home