Sunday, November 14, 2004

Flat Tax

Unlike Most Democrats, I am a proponent of the flat tax. My rationale is two-fold. One, it's the job of government to treat it's citizens as equally as possible. This egalitarian ethic is why I'm against affirmative action and also for gay marriage. No one should have to pay more than a third of their income for tax. I'm sick and tired of the government assuming it's their right to take much of taxpayer's money and then provide arbitrary political tax cuts and exemptions. Another reason for the flat tax is to counter the cynical class warfare that the "progressive" tax system propagates. As long as there is a provision for the poor to pay no tax and the flat tax not enlarging the defecit further, I don't see a problem with it. Imagine a world where we can reduce the number of lobbyists, tax attorneys, and the IRS.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael Romero said...

the question is, what rate do you need to put the tax at in order to make our government viable? forbes wanted it at 10%, but that obvioulsy would bankrupt the government. I would say that you'd need something in the high teens to low twenties in order to be viable. In that case, I think a lot of middle class people would still pay MORE on wage taxes, especially if we leave investment taxes as they currently are.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home