Sunday, October 18, 2009

...as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”~Nelson Mandela

I remember a time when I used to live by this quote, and I hope that I haven't forgotten it - too much. The longer version is taken from Nelson Mandela's inauguration speech in South Africa in 1994. It can certainly be taken out of context, and perhaps has, by a sort of new age gnosticism that is pervasive.

The light, of course, should be considered Christ as the "light of the world." (Jn 9:5) As for fear, we are called to "work out our salvation with fear and trembling."(Phil. 2:12) However, all rest and consolation is found in Him, for "my yoke is easy and my burden is light."(Mt 11:28)

When I hear this quote, I think of a certain spiritual integrity that comes with being open and honest; not lying, and not having to hide things in order to give anyone a sense of false security. Ultimately, "the truth shall set you free."(Jn 8:32)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home