Saturday, December 13, 2008

Virginmartyr Lucy of Syracuse






Troparion - Tone 5

Wearing the radiant cloak of virginity
And being betrothed to the Lifegiver Christ
You forsook the love of your earthly betrothed
O Lucy Virgin-Martyr
Therefore as a bridal gift
You have brought to Christ the outpouring of your blood
You also intercede to Him for us all!

St. Lucia has always been venerated in my family - much to do with her being the patron saint of Sweden. I recall as a child celebrating St. Lucia Day on December 13th and my sister Mia dressing up as St. Lucia for school. It also means a lot because of my sister's eye problems when she was younger. One legend of St. Lucia involves the beauty of her eyes, and their removal during her martyrdom. The painting of Lucy and her eyes on a platter was actually given to Mia in the hospital after her surgery. I was thrilled to learn that Lucia was venerated as an Orthodox Saint. Let us honor her today. I can't wait to go home for some gingerbread cookies and Swedish pancakes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maggie's Farm said...

OH, how wonderful that you're celebrating the Swedish saint you were raised with! I'm so proud of you and so happy you have such wonderful memories of childhood. I miss those days but derive satisfaction that you grew up so strong, brave and happy!

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home